Sunday, January 11, 2015

I'm Better Than You (according to who?)

Ok, I only sorta believe that. Before you shut me down, let me explain.
  • Should we take our cues about who we are from other people or their opinions?
  • If someone makes more money or is more gifted in an area, is that person really "better than us"?
  • What indicates that we are a successful?

I know this is deep, but hang with me.

I would hope that my friend is better than me in certain areas, like his job. If he wasn't, then either I or someone else would have it, right? The same is true of me with what I do. In essence, we have all been given certain gifts, skills and abilities. Things we do naturally, with little effort, that we could almost do in our sleep.

I would offer, then, that we are all "better" or uniquely gifted (whatever) than others in this respect.

Many people receive acclaim or monetary rewards for effectively utilizing their gifts and doing what they do naturally. This is the fruit of their efforts and indicates how well they have used what they have.

I would say that we are successful when we are doing what we love to do while being who we are created to be. What do you think?

Case in point: Mother Theresa. She lived in abject poverty serving others. She adhered to the religious belief that "putting others before yourself" (or being last--allowing others to be 'better' than you) was a good thing.

Was she successful? Are others better than her? Are you? What say you, BetterMeister?


No comments: