Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Final Jeopardy & Nerves of Steel

Last night I had my life coach final.

If successful, upon graduation I would become a Professional Certified Life Purpose & Career Coach with a Life Coach designation. Hours of preparation, studying and coaching went into this. If you're in school or have been, you know the drill.

Well, all of us were nervous and under a lot of pressure. We had to answer a series of questions orally and then coach someone "on the spot." When it came my turn to be tested, I thought I'd try a little humor and answered my first question exactly opposite of what we'd been taught. I thought it was obvious...

DEAD SILENCE. Then I said that I was just kidding. Everyone breathed a collective sigh of relief and started laughing. It broke the ice and put everyone at ease.

Throughout this entire process, I learned many lessons. Chief amongst these include:
  • Despite how I felt physically, I could persevere, overcome and be successful.
  • I had a lot more ability/capacity than I gave myself credit for when it came to accomplishing things.
  • What I set my mind to I can do, in spite of appearances.
  • Fears are deceptive and rarely have merit or basis in fact.
  • I have the power to choose: my responses, my mindset, my thoughts and beliefs.
So, my encouragement to you is to go for your dreams and desires, persevere in the process and before you know it, you'll be past your comfort zone and into a whole new world!

EndNote: We all passed except one person and will be certified by the end of February or sooner!

No comments: